What's Inspired Quills, you ask?

This blog is focused on creative writing and the skills that go along with it!

Through my own experiences as a writer as well as the writings of others, I will share advice, opinions, excerpts and musings to aid you in your literary journey!

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Making Progress

Sometimes you just have to hunker down and DO IT.

Do what?

Write!

Oh yeah.  Write...


...


Every day.  You should write every day.  It doesn't really matter if it's only a sentence or if you have an epiphany and write an entire chapter in one sitting.  Writing regularly assures that you don't lose your touch.


What do I mean by 'losing your touch'?  


If you've ever played a musical instrument, painted pictures, ridden a bike...really any acquired faculty, you know that you may never forget how to do it, but if you go a long time without practicing, you get rusty.  


It's a fact of nature.  Metal rusts.  So does brain tissue, apparently. 


But sometimes it's tough to find time to write!  This, of course, is a given.  If you're a human being living in the world, you have a lot of demands on your time.  This also seems to be a fact of nature.  Bees are busy.  So are people.  

I'm afraid I don't have any tips on finding time to write.  Even I go a day or two without writing sometimes (shame on me!).  But I would strongly encourage, if there is any seriousness in your desire to write and create, to write some every day.  I find that I'm able to sneak in some before I go to bed at night.


But now I'm thinking...if I have time to write this blog, surely I have time to write in my story!  


...


Oh yeah...


Well then, with that, I'll quickly sum up.  What I'm trying to say is that it's important to make progress on your story on a regular basis.  This helps keep the juices flowing in your noggin, and it's easier to remember details of your story that you might forget otherwise (on that note, I try to keep a notebook filled with those kinds of minutiae that I might forget in case of emergency).  

..::WORD of the DAY::..

Torpor - [tawr per] [noun]
1.) lacking in vitality or interest
2.) a state of mental or physical inactivity or insensibility
3.) lethargy; apathy
Example: Hardly awake, the waitress drifted idly from table to table, trying to suppress her obvious torpor.   

May your quills always be inspired,
J Cole 

No comments:

Post a Comment