What's Inspired Quills, you ask?

This blog is focused on creative writing and the skills that go along with it!

Through my own experiences as a writer as well as the writings of others, I will share advice, opinions, excerpts and musings to aid you in your literary journey!

Friday, January 15, 2010

Musings about Plot

Plot can be annoying, sometimes.  

I think it's because it's so important.  What's more, it has to be creative.  

Really?  Does it really?  Can't I just write some cliche and be done with it?  

"NO!" I tell myself.  

I've just reached a point in my own story that has me in the clutches of a quandary.  I should've known.  This kind of moment is certainly due, since it hasn't happened in, say, the last couple of chapters.  

Perhaps I only have myself to blame.  Perhaps I should've actually updated my outline with the last couple of plot changes I made... 

Nah.  

You see, when it comes to plot, I more or less play things by ear.  I think that's just the artist screaming out in me.  I'm usually a pretty methodical person.  At least, I'd like to think so.  But when it comes to writing, I like to wing it.  Probably not the best decision.  But then, I love the spontaneity of coming up with a new plot direction after only an hour's worth (if that) of fragmented (yet somehow thorough) musing.  

You see, I've come up to a point where the first major arc of the novel, the hero kinda "finding himself" and subsequently admitting his love for the heroine, has come to an end.  Now, it's time for the hero to be given the "big quest"--you know, now that things are kinda nailed down for the hero, he can focus on saving the world.  Right?  

Well, how do I introduce something like that and make it original?  The whole "saving the day" shtick has been used by...I dunno...every single fantasy author in known history...


Looking back, I probably should've given this part of the story more thought.  

Oh yeah, I did.  

But then I changed a few things.  And then I changed a few more things.  And I didn't really change the outline.  So now I have the first idea I had for this part, but of course it's totally obsolete because of my other ideas.

Don't worry.  I'm certainly not worried.  Because, as I said, I like to wing it.  

So.  Lesson of the day?  Update your outline whenever you make a plot change!  And know how the story ends.  When you read a book, you don't want to skip to the end before you naturally read every page before.  But when you're writing, it's really important to know the ending.  And if something changes, keep that outline updated!  

..::|WORD OF THE DAY|::..

Stygian - [stij-ee-uhn]
1.) [adj.] of or pertaining to the River Styx or Hades (Gr. mythology)
2.) [adj.] dark or gloomy
3.) [adj.] infernal or hellish
Example: As he descended, the stygian cave seemed to swallow the man in its ethereal maw.


May your quills always be inspired,
J Cole

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I like the word of the day. It's dramatic.
    As for your musings on 'plot.' I only want to reinforce what you said about knowing how the story will end. You've given me this advice (some time long, long ago) before and I stick to it. I, myself, pretty much come up with one or two things in the story that eventually need to happen to make things flow. But I *have* to write an ending for myself before I do anything else, otherwise I have no idea what I'm doing half way through or even where I'm going with things.
    I don't love to outline... hence the lack of it. So outlining to *me* is pretty much just writing the ending and then going with it. ^_^ Great post, as always Jedd!

    ReplyDelete