What's Inspired Quills, you ask?

This blog is focused on creative writing and the skills that go along with it!

Through my own experiences as a writer as well as the writings of others, I will share advice, opinions, excerpts and musings to aid you in your literary journey!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Music, Creativity and Coffee...

I've been doing some thinking...

...yes, and writing too.

But seriously, I wanted to talk a little about music and creativity.   


I've gotten to the point where I nearly can't write without some music playing in the background.  Of course, I only assume this because every time I do write, I'm playing music in the background.  


I'm big on music.  Especially classical music.  Anyone who knows me well will inexorably discover that I have an extensive classical music collection stored on my laptop.  Altogether, we're talking about 72 hours of music on my computer, with probably 9 out of 10 songs being classical pieces (I kid you not).  

See?  You know me, now.  :D


I listen mainly to these classical selections while I write, mainly because they're so evocative!  Even when they're playing rather quietly in the background, they still cause my mind to become driven and guided by their own unique moods and expressions.


The study of music's effects on the mind and the human body is a most interesting one.  If you have an extra few minutes, check out this paper, which explains some of music's abilities to affect the brain.  


I believe that music can either aid or diminish creativity.  I've experienced both instances, and I think that whether it helps or simply annoys is dependent on the person.  Some people prefer classical, rock, alternative, trance...take your pick, and someone will like to listen to it for their given art.  


I generally prefer classical music, because 1.) lyrics tend to distract, 2.) the variety within classical pieces as opposed to the repetition of modern music stimulates my mind and 3.) I...just love classical music.  


Though these aren't hard and fast, here are some of the selections I listen to in order to achieve a certain mood or mindset while writing a given section of a story.  Give them a try and see if they affect you.



When I need to think...

  • Epicly - Beethoven: Symphony Nos. 5 or 9, Piano Sonata No. 13, 2nd movement; Saint-Saëns: Organ Symphony; Liszt: Totentanz; Dvorák: "New World" Symphony (no. 9); Brahms: Piano Rhapsody Nos. 1 and 2; Vivaldi: 1st movement to "La Tempesta di Mare" concerto; Chopin: Prelude Nos. 12 and 24
  • Happily - Debussy: Suite Bergamasque, Deux Arabesques; J.S. Bach: Cello Suite No. 1; Vivaldi: Concerto for two mandolins; Ravel: String quartet in F major, 2nd movement; Enescu: Romanian Rhapsody No. 1
  • Sadly - Barber: Adagio for Strings/Agnus Dei (choir arrangement, saddest piece you'll ever hear); Vaughan-Williams: Fantasia on a theme by Tallis; Beethoven: 2nd movement of 7th Symphony; Debussy: 2nd movement of En Blanc et Noir; Satie: Trois Gymnopédies
  • Angrily - Beethoven: 3rd movement to Moonlight Sonata; Bartók: Piano Concerto No. 2; Prokofiev: Toccata for piano in C major; Rachmaninoff: Étude-Tableaux Op. 33 No. 8, Op. 39 Nos. 1 and 6
  • Romantically - Chopin: Almost any of his Nocturnes, but Op. 9 No. 1 is the most romantic, in my opinion; Granados: Estudio "Andantino espressivo"; Rachmaninoff: 2nd movement of the 2nd Piano Concerto (what the song "All by Myself" is based on)
 You could find all of these in one form or another on Youtube, but there's a site called Classical Cat where you can find a TON of classical music in public domain mp3 form.  Here's the site for your ease.


That's all I have to say on that topic, really.



Oh, and coffee is awesome.  That's why it's in the title.  :D


..::WORD OF THE DAY::..

Avarice - [AV-er-is]
[noun] insatiable greed for riches; inordinate, miserly desire to gain and hoard wealth

Example: He was a twisted man fixated on possessions, a malcontent full of covetousness and avarice.





May your quills always be inspired,
J Cole

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous20/1/10

    Thank you very much! That playlist is very helpful! But... "avarice of"...? I've only ever heard avarice used these ways:

    The avarice of our species makes us inclined to believe that every moon is rightfully our own... (quant a Avatar)

    He grasped the marble in his sticky palm, his little eyes glinting with avarice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...

    At first glance, I don't see anything wrong with it, but if it causes confusion, I should change it. Thanks for the heads up! :D

    ReplyDelete