What's Inspired Quills, you ask?

This blog is focused on creative writing and the skills that go along with it!

Through my own experiences as a writer as well as the writings of others, I will share advice, opinions, excerpts and musings to aid you in your literary journey!

Friday, February 5, 2010

Things to Watch Out for pt. 2

Today, we're looking at part two of things to watch out for while writing creatively.

Number Two: Varying the Sentence Structure 

This can be a tricky one to really get comfortable with.  I know that in my own experience, it's something that only comes with practice.  So what am I talking about, exactly?

Well, I'm talking about not writing monotonously.  

How does that happen?  

Well, it's easy to do, really.  When I get into the 'groove', that is, when I get into the writing frame of mind, I end up writing without pause.  Spilling ideas on the paper like a child trying to pour a glass of milk, I finally reach a stopping point.  At that time, I go back and read over what I've just written, only to find that it's a bunch of the same sentences!  


What I mean is that they all have the same sentence structure.  It'll be a bunch of 'He did something adverbially with a certain emotion' sentences, like I took different words and stuck them in a mold--a template--and stamped them onto the paper in a neat little row!  How creative is that?  


The important thing, I suppose, is that I got the idea on the paper.  And it is the important thing.  This is, after all, the rough draft.  Polish can always come later.  But something to keep in mind while you're writing is that varying the sentence structure can make for a much better, more imaginative, read.  


One of the best ways to do such a thing is with participial phrases.  For example:


Swinging hilariously from a vine, Rowan flew by the other scientists in a blur.  

He spoke with authority, drawing upon memories from his childhood.


The sentences in green print, which are normal, perfectly fine, complete sentences, would be okay all by their lonesome, I suppose.  But if you have a bunch of this kind of sentence all right next to each other, it becomes very monotonous--kinda like Kevin Costner narrating Dances with Wolves.  

Yeah.  Nobody wants that.  


But if you break it up with participial phrases, which can either go before or after a main clause like those above, then suddenly the reading becomes a little easier and a whole lot more varied.  Little phrases like these are great ways to provide background information, thoughts, bodily reactions, etc. as well.  

One day, I'll perhaps include two things to watch out for in these 'Things to Watch Out for' blogs, but for now, I must end my musings.  You know what that means...


..::WORD OF THE DAY::.. 
Cuesta - [KWES-tuh]
- noun
1.) a long, low ridge with a relatively steep face or escarpment on one side and a long, gentle slope on the other

Example: The travelers crested the hill overlooking the city below, which was shaded now by the face of a grand cuesta formed by hundreds of years of mining.

*um, good luck using that one...*

May your quills always be inspired,
J Cole



No comments:

Post a Comment