What's Inspired Quills, you ask?

This blog is focused on creative writing and the skills that go along with it!

Through my own experiences as a writer as well as the writings of others, I will share advice, opinions, excerpts and musings to aid you in your literary journey!

Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Prologue, of sorts

Hello,

This first post has no real literary value per , but I wanted to introduce myself as well as the purpose of my...


FIRST. BLOG. EVER!

My name is Jedd, and I'd like to think myself a creative person. I've written fiction for about as long as I can remember, and I've read fiction for even longer (hey, even children's books are fictitious, right?). It's been a long, enlightening journey through the English language to get to the point where I am now: able to express words in an imaginative, artistic way to create images and emotions in the mind of the reader, as well as to use these words to drive a given plot forward.

This, at least, is my goal, as well as the goal (I would presume) of all creative writers.

I am currently writing a fantasy novel that's been in the works for far longer than I care to admit, and through its several editions of rewriting, revising, revising the rewrites and rewriting the revisions of the rewrites...I've come to a point where I am confident in my abilities to effectively write this story! Time will tell, right? I've also completed a short-story which I'm trying to publish, as well as a sketch or two on the side. Coming out of High School, I'm finally realizing that I can try and pursue this! A gift left unused is hardly a gift at all, correct?

So, what's this blog all about? Well, I'm glad you asked!

It's about creative writing. It's about using the English language to effectively write a thought, paint a picture, create a world, a character, a plot, a story! It's about my own efforts to do so, though mainly from the perspective of sharing lessons I've learned and challenges I've faced with you, the reader. Why? Because it's not easy to write creatively, but with a little help (which hopefully I can give), it can be made a touch less daunting.

So, without further ado, I bid this prologue be done with its ceaseless rambling! And you, the reader, the writer, the thinker, may this blog fuel your mind with ideas and helpful tidbits to aid you in your literary journey!


May your quills always be inspired,
-J. Cole

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7/1/10

    Intriguing idea! :) May I propose some early topics?
    -Post a story that you wrote when you were little and take it through a few revisions
    -Tackle: How do you plan out a story?
    -How do you (personally)overcome writer's block/get inspired?
    -How do you pick the perfect word?
    -How do you see into a character's mind and write from that point of view?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot! I'll definitely try to cover those. :D

    ReplyDelete